PowerBI Connector and Quick Base
Note: Microsoft PowerBI is a third-party vendor. To use this connector, you must have a license or access to PowerBI. For more details, review your Office365 subscription.
Microsoft PowerBI is a business intelligence platform on which you can aggregate and analyze by creating visualizations which you can share. The Quick Base connector is available in the PowerBI desktop, and enables you to access all of your Quick Base data directly from within the PowerBI interface (table navigator) to quickly create powerful reports and visualizations. After you connect to your Quick Base data from PowerBI, you can also merge it with data from other tables and sources to create even deeper insights.
Recommendation: The Quick Base PowerBI connector can quickly process large data sets. However for the best application scale and performance, we recommend streamlining the report columns and records filters to ensure that you load only the necessary data into PowerBI. You should use the List All reports option sparingly.
Quick Base PowerBI connector features and functionality
The Quick Base PowerBI connector provides the following functionality:
Authenticates with specified Quick Base applications by using user tokens
Connects exactly to the correct Quick Base data by using pre-built reports in the Quick Base app
Quickly refreshes both large and small data sets from Quick Base
Automatically updates both data and report columns. As you add columns to your reports in Quick Base, the native PowerBI refresh feature updates the changes.
For example, you can use these features to add power to the following Quick Base use cases:
- Create and share report and chart types that are not supported by native Quick Base
- Merge data from multiple sources to analyze processes that span across multiple systems
- Convert timestamps to dates and times that are easy to read
- Use native Quick Base address fields to create map and geographic information system (GIS) reports
Note: For Quick Base reports that are being used by PowerBI, we recommend caution when making changes to the reports' configuration because changes may inadvertently break the PowerBI features dependent on those reports.
How to use the Quick Base PowerBI connector
To use the Quick Base PowerBI connector:
- Using PowerBI, select Get Data and provide an application url and a usertoken to access the data within the app.
- PowerBI displays a list of tables within the app, and all of the table reports within those tables.
- You can select one or more reports from the app's available tables.
- You can now create your own visualization to analyze the data in PowerBI.
Quick Base PowerBI connector limitations
The following limitations exist for the Quick Base PowerBI connector:
User fields are returned as userIDs. To convert to an easily readable field, you must create a text formula for each user field.
Rich text and formula-rich text is rendered similarly to HTML markup. For details about how to convert text to HTML within the PowerBI connector, click here.
These field types are not supported and are returned 'as is' through API responses: vcard, ical, report link, and file attachment.
Tables containing duplicate column names generate an error. This typically occurs when you create a lookup/summary field that has the same name as an existing field in the table.
© 1999-2019 QuickBase, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Notices.